Marienkapelle - Würzburg
Wikipedia: “The Marienkapelle is a Roman Catholic church located at the Unterer Markt (market square) of the town of Würzburg, Bavaria. It was built in the Gothic style in the 14th century. Despite its large size, it is a chapel by status, as it does not have a parish. Today it is administered by the united parishes of the Würzburg Cathedral and the Kollegiatstift Neumünster.
"The chapel was heavily damaged by the Bombing of Würzburg in World War II and its interior was destroyed by flames. It was rebuilt in the 1950s and re-consecrated in 1962.
"On 21 April 1349 the synagogue located at this site was destroyed in the course of a pogrom. There are conflicting reports about any (wooden) structures that were erected immediately after that and whether a pilgrimage was established at the site. It is also not known whether building a chapel dedicated to Mary there was intended as atonement for the murder of the local Jews or as atonement for having earlier tolerated the presence of Christ-killers. Construction of the current church started under Bishop Gerhard von Schwarzburg in 1377."
We did not enter the church, fortuitously since we were then able to arrive at the parade route just in time for the Kiliani Parade, photos from which are found in the "Best" collection.